Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Author Spotlight, Featuring Kelly Samarah

Beneath The Blood Moon
Hello, hello everyone! I hope everyone's week is off to a good start.

I have a very exciting post today! Please welcome Kelly Samarah to my blog, my very first author spotlight! I hope this is the first of many to come.

Kelly has a brand spankin' new anthology releasing on August 25th, Beneath the Blood Moon: Six Terrifying Tales. Sounds like my kind of book. I can't wait! It will be available on Amazon, Smashwords and Barnes & Noble.

Without further ado, I give you Kelly Samarah!

1. Why are you a writer and when did you first start writing?
I write because I have stories to tell. As simple as that. There are characters in my head, waiting to be put down on paper, and I'm doing them an injustice if I don't follow through. 
I've been writing since I was very young. My second grade teacher told me I had a gift for words, and I knew then I wanted to tell people stories. It's always been about trying to show people what's inside my head, and writing has been a way for me to communicate little pieces of myself to others.
2. What will you tackle next? (If you are writing a series, what will you write after the series is over?)
With my horror shorts being released, I have more time to focus on my book, the first of a trilogy about a boy who learns he is a warrior from an alternate universe. I post my rough draft chapters each week on my blog. Readers can read along while the story is in it's rawest state. I thought this would be fun, to watch a story come to life, and for readers to see just how much changes from the first time that pencil hits the paper to it's absolute, final draft. And hopefully, give them a better appreciation for how much work author's actually go through from start to finish. How involved we become, how tortured and doubtful and frustrated we can get with making it "perfect."
Thorns Of Glass


3. Who is your favorite character that you have created and why?
I love (and in some cases, hate, where it is a given) all my characters. They are all pieces of my personality in one way or another. But right now, my favorite character is Sam, from my book, Thorns of Glass. There are so many aspects of his character that touch strings in my emotions I would rather ignore. He truly became something tangible as I wrote about his tragic life. He feels like a real person to me.


4. What is your favorite genre and author to read?

This question is always so hard for me. I like a good story. In my experience, I've found some of my favorites in the horror, paranormal, and fantasy genres. Stephen King is an all time favorite, as well as Lois Lowry. Recently, I have enjoyed the work of John Hart, Neal Shusterman and a very twisted and original book of horror shorts by Claire Farrell.
5. What about movies and TV shows, (or if that's not for you) How do you relax?
I relax by sleeping. There's too much to do in my life sometimes to find a time to relax besides then. I'm a single mom and have a 15 and 10 year old at home. I also work full time besides writing and marketing, so it's not often I get to veg out in front of the T.V.. But when I do, you can find me watching The Walking Dead, True Blood, Sons of Anarchy, American Horror Story, and all those reality T.V. ghost hunting shows. I also love to read and paint, and try to fit those in when I can.

Bio: Kelly Samarah lives in the small logging town of Molalla, Oregon, nestled in the foothills of the Cascade Range near the Mt. Hood national forest. She enjoys reading, writing, painting, cooking and spending time soaking in the beautiful Oregon countryside.

~ ~ ~ ~

Everyone, mark your calendars! We only have a few more days left to wait. Here are a few links to keep you up to date with everything Kelly's up too!


And remember, if you like a book, please leave a review! You have no idea how it brightens our day.

Catch everyone on Thursday!


No comments:

Post a Comment