Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Open Minds - By Susan Kaye Quinn

Sorry this post is a little late today. I may have gotten caught up in the first Monday night game of the season and then passed out early.

So I do have a review for today. I totally swept through Open Minds this weekend, and I'm so thankful I found a book that captured my attention so effectively.

The book eases you into the story and starts off slow as we get to know Kira and her world. It's an odd, futuristic world where something in the water has turned everyone into a mind-reader. Everyone, except for a lonely few that are referred to as 'zeros.' That would be Kira.
Open Minds

Zeros have a hard life because no one trusts them. Why would you trust someone when you can't read their thoughts? It's to easy for them to keep secrets and tell lies. Zeros can never be productive members of society.

This is how Kira's story starts. Once it gets going, though, it's pretty action packed. It kept the pages turning and was a very easy read. As soon as I turned the last page, I immediately bought the second book.

This book was really good and I only had a few issues with it that knocked it down to a 4 star review.

First was the way the slag words were used. The author did an excellent job creating all this new jargon and slang terms to give her world depth, but there were moments when it felt like it was over used a bit. Not a big deal, though.

The biggest reason why this book didn't rate a full 5 stars for me was the lack of emotion I felt for the characters. People could die and I didn't care. Now, I'm an emotional person and I cried like a banshee when I read the Hunger Games, but for some reason, I didn't have a connection with the characters in the book. I couldn't begin to tell you why, either.

I wouldn't let any of that stop you from reading this book, though. It's pretty minor stuff compared to how excellent the story is.

Also, here's the book trailer, which I think is pretty awesome!


You can find more info on Susan and her books here.

Will be back on Thursday!



No comments:

Post a Comment